Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2017

DIY Reusable Shopping Bags





If you're a Californian, like myself, you've probably heard a bit about plastic bag bans these past few months. In November, 52% of California voters said "yes" to a single-use bag ban. This made California the first state to adopt such legislation. 


Having spent three years of undergrad at UC Davis, I'm familiar with plastic bag bans. In 2013, the city of Davis adopted a strict plastic bag ban and began charging $.10 per paper bag. This law really shaped me into the shopper that I am today. While most people prefer to use carts, I am of the buy-what-you-can-carry variety. 

This habit was developed from an almost pointlessly stubborn unwillingness to spend money. The "responsible" adult-like thing for me to have done would have been to buy reusable bags and continue on as normal. But I could never get myself to buy them. I don't want to spend the extra money. I also never wanted to cough up the $.10 for a paper bag when I had two perfectly good arms (and sometimes even a backpack). Fun fact: My arms can carry about $35 worth of groceries. 

On a state-wide level the plastic bag ban isn't nearly as strict. The legislation allows for the use of thicker plastic bags that can be reused a minimum of 125 times. While shoppers will have to pay a minimum of $.10 for plastic or paper bags, they also have the option to bring reusable bags with them. 


Don't want to spend money on reusable bags? 


Neither do I. But to be fair, I've outgrown bagless shopping. College has aged my soul, and I have grown weary. So I've opted to start making my own bags out of t-shirts I don't wear anymore. 

While I may still roam the isles with cereal and cookies piled atop my arms, I have shopping bags now.  Judgmental mothers of the grocery-store, beware. I know exactly what I'm going to do with sriracha, three cans of pasta sauce, package of hot dogs, ramen noodles, and a jumbo bag of cheese puffs. I'm going to put them in my bag like the adult I'm pretending to be.   


Here's what you'll need


  • a pair of scissors
  • an old t-shirt
  • a measuring tape*
*not necessary, but may be useful

DIY Reusable Bags


Step 1. Decide whether or not you want a fringe.  Since this is a no-sew option, this bag will be held together by a series of (simple) knots. Depending on the look of the shirt I'm working with, I like to leave the fringe visible. If that's the case, leave your shirt right-side-out. Otherwise, turn your shirt inside-out for a no-fringe option. 


Step 2.  Lay your shirt on a flat surface. With your scissors remove the collar and sleeves of your shirt. Also be sure to remove the hem from the shirt. This will save you a lot of trouble later on. 


Pro-tip: Rather than throwing away leftover fabric, consider repurposing it for rags for dusting or cleaning. 





Step 3. Measure about 3 inches up from the bottom.  Taking your scissors cut several 3x1 inch (length x width) strips across the bottom of the shirt. This doesn't have to be perfect, you just want them to be long enough to tie the knots with!




Step 4. Hold down the base of the shirt. With your dominant hand, pull on the strands you just cut. This should be firm enough to stretch the strands, but gentle enough to avoid tearing the fabric. 





Step 5. Take the outermost top and bottom strands and tie a double knot.  To make your bag more secure, connect your knots with one another. To do this, take two strands (from different knots) and tie them together. 

I find it easiest to keep track of my knots by thinking of them as a top and bottom. When connecting these knots you'll want to combine strands from different layers (one top and one bottom). 


Step 6. Turn your bag right-side out. Once your knots are tied, consider testing the durability of your bag. Some fabrics (and knots) are stronger than others. 




There you have it! A sustainably made reusable bag and I bet you didn't even have to leave your home to make it! 

What's your take on the single-use plastic bag ban? Leave your thoughts in the comments! 




No comments:

Post a Comment